Many people with high metabolisms, thin frames, or low appetites struggle to gain weight. Whether you’re hoping to build muscle mass or to find a more healthy everyday weight, the best solution to gain weight is to eat more, and eat right. In this article, we’ll teach you how and what to eat to maximize your weight gain, muscle growth, and long-term health benefits.
Given that the ongoing “battle of the bulge” is front and center for so many people, being too thin may seem like a good problem to have. But the reality is that being underweight can cause health problems.
Increased carbs and high-fat foods: It is very important to consume high carbohydrate and high-fat foods like bananas, oats, quinoa, blueberries, sweet potatoes, cheese, dark chocolate, etc. Also, make sure to have at least three wholesome meals a day.
- Consumption of energy-rich foods: Make sure to eat, energy-dense foods like nuts including almonds, walnuts, peanuts, dried fruits including raisins or prunes, dark chocolate, high-fat dairy foods like condensed milk, full-fat cream, cheese, milk, veggies like potatoes and yams, etc.
- Rice, Red meat: A bowl of rice of about 200gms, forms a good source of carbohydrates and should be included in the diet as well. Likewise, consumption of red meat pumps up the muscle mass.
- Fats/Oils/Yoghurt: Include full-fat yogurt and avoid flavored ones or the ones that contain low-fat content. Include avocado and olive oils in your diet as they contribute to a healthy heart and contain unsaturated fats.
- Whole wheat bread: Starch containing bread is the best source of carbohydrate and helps in weight gain.
- Eat more calories than your body can burn: There is no rocket science behind this tip but simple mathematical logic. If a system has a greater influx as compared to an outflux, there are most likely chances that the system may resort to the accumulation of material.
- Include a protein-rich diet: Protein helps build lean muscle mass. Thus, a greater amount of protein-rich foods like soybean, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts or whey protein helps gain weight.
- Increased carbs and high-fat foods: It is very important to consume high carbohydrate and high-fat foods like bananas, oats, quinoa, blueberries, sweet potatoes, cheese, dark chocolate, etc. Also, make sure to have at least three wholesome meals a day.
- Weight lifting and exercise: The excess calories consumed will bulk up onto the muscle rather than the abdomen or other parts if an individual performs regular weightlifting.
- Eggs: The best food that has been prescribed since ages by not just doctors, but also our friends, relatives or family for quick energy, instant weight gain, and better health are eggs. Even body-builders with an aim to achieve certain bulk weight are put on an egg diet. Therefore, it is extremely important to also include eggs in your meal.
- Drink Milk: Prefer full-fat milk and have at least one full glass in a day.
- Sleep and Yoga: It is not a contemporary saying but rather a quite old one, that the secret of good health lies not just in healthy, tasty food but also in plenty of sleep. Sleep plays a crucial role not just in your mental well being throughout the day, but also has been scientifically proven to be a contributing factor in aiding digestion and the overall metabolic process. Similarly, incorporation of yoga in your daily routine also helps destress as well as stabilize your sleep patterns and uplift your mental and emotional health. All these factors eventually culminate into a calmer, relaxed mind and prevent any unnecessary weight loss, improves appetite and indirectly contribute to weight gain.
- Protein and weight gain supplements: Such supplements are available in the form of powders which can be prepared as shakes with milk and consumed. Avoid getting into a habit of only relying on these products and conveniently skipping healthy diets. Use such supplements from credible brands, in limited amounts and for a limited time
- Avoid smoking: Smoking is detrimental to your health as it first tampers with your respiratory health and later traverses its way to an overall loss of weight and efficient body functions
causes of underweight
Genetics: Sometimes, it’s just heredity which makes a person underweight.
Stress: These days, many individuals experience stress which may be either due to work life or personal life, irrespective of that stress is what leads to loss of sleep and appetite which eventually disrupts the metabolism, a person gets weaker and thereby experiences unhealthy weight loss.If you’re suffering from damaging emotional issues, talk to your doctor. He or she can help you get the care, assistance, or counseling you may need.
Eating Disorder: Serious mental disorders like anorexia nervosa can cause extreme weight loss.
Infections: Malarial or parasitic infections, diarrhea, tuberculosis, etc may lead to unhealthy loss of weight.
High physical activity. If you’re an athlete, you probably know that frequent workouts can affect your body weight. However, high physical activity also can be a part of an active job or an energetic personality. If you’re on your feet a lot, you may burn more calories than people who are more sedentary (inactive).
Diabetes: Uncontrolled type 1 diabetes
Medicines. Certain prescription medicines can cause nausea and weight loss. Some treatments, such as chemotherapy, can reduce appetite and worsen weight loss from illness.
Cancer: Cancer patients tend to get weaker and experience more and more weight loss.
Thyroid: Hyperthyroidism caused by an overactive thyroid, boosts metabolism and leads to drastic unhealthy weight loss.
foods to help you gain weight
Full-fat yogurt can also provide protein and nutrients. Avoid flavored yogurts and those with lower fat contents, as they often contain added sugars.
A person may wish to flavor their yogurt with fruit or nuts.
Pasta can provide a calorically dense and carbohydrate-rich path to healthy weight gain.
Fats and oils
Oils, such as those derived from olives and avocados, contribute calories and heart-healthy unsaturated fats.
Avocados are rich in calories and fat, as well as some vitamins and minerals
Many cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals.
However, some contain a lot of sugar and few complex carbohydrates. These should be avoided.
Instead, select cereals that contain whole grains and nuts. These contain healthy levels of carbohydrates and calories, as well as nutrients such as fiber and antioxidants.
Eggs are a good source of protein, healthy fat, and other nutrients. Most nutrients are contained in the yolk.